Sarvajan Hitaya Sarvajan Sukhaya
Former BJP minister Nalin Bhatt joins BSP
Tuesday, September 11 2007 20:48 (IST)
Subscribe to Newsletter
Mr Bhatt will join the BSP, along with his supporters, mostly dissident BJP workers, on August 15 in the presence of party supremo and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati, who is scheduled to address a public rally here the next day.
Announcing this at a press
‘’My decision to join BSP is based on the fact that neither the autocratic Modi government nor the Congress is good for Gujarat. BSP can be an alternative to these two power hungry parties and can spring a surprise in the coming assembly elections as it happened inAndhra Pradesh,'’ he said.
The former minister, who had remained loyal to Modi’s arch rival and rebel group leader Keshubhai Patel, had resigned from the BJP after the state BJPleadership suspended him from the party in August last year, for organising a road-show in Vadodara protesting against what he called ‘’gross mismanagement'’ in flood relief measures.
With Mr Bhatt making up his mind to join the BSP, the move by BJP rebels to set up a united front against Chief Minister Narendra Modi ahead of the assembly elections has suffered a jolt, particularly in central Gujarat. Mr Bhatt had recently launched an NGO named Dindayal Seva Sangharsh Samitee tocarry on his anti-Modi campaign in the region.
Ms Mayawati, who is scheduled to arrive here on September 15 on a two-day visit to the state, would meet the press in the evening and address two public meetings at Vadodara and Gandhinagar the next day, BSP’s Gujarat in-charge Rampal Singh, who was also present at the press conference, said.
UNI SS OBB KD DB2041
|Tags: politics guj bsp bhatt.|
With this, the government also cancelled the recruitments of 6504 policemen selected by these boards.
Of the 12 IPS officers — two officers Mukul Goel and Daljit Singh Choudhury — are presently on central deputation. ‘’We have sent the letters to the Union government..they will be suspended by the central government,'’ he added.
While Goel is on deputation with the ITBPF, Chaudhury is the personal secretery of a Union Minister of State for Home.
The other officers suspended are Chavinath Singh and R N Yadav (both IG rank), S K Mathur, B P Jogdand, Shailendra Pratap Singh, B M Tripathi, B B Bakshi and Akhilesh Mehlotra (all DIGs), S K Gupta and K Satya Vijayan (both SP rank).
According to the report submitted to the government, it was found that at the Gorakhpur recruitment centre, proxy candidates took the examination in 23 cases. This fact had already been verified by handwriting experts. While mandatory police verification was given a go-by in many cases, in other instances a large number of recruits had criminal records, while in Kanpur seven examination notebooks contained the same handwriting.
The report said in Etawah, examiners cleared 700 test papers in a day while in Gorakhpur, as many as 7,000 candidates were shown to have been interviewed in barely three days although individual interviews were mandatory.
During the investigation, it was found that more than 100 candidates cleared the physical measurement test despite being below the mandated 167.7 cm in height. Several cases were detected, where high-school and caste certificates were forged.
Meanwhile, the government had asked the state police chief to verify whether retiring IPS officers were involved in the scam.
‘’If they are involved, their retirement benefits might get affected,'’ said an official.
Sources confirmed today that the DGP office had been asked to certify whether IPS officers, who were retiring in the next few months, were involved in the recruitment scam.
Between Septemer and December this year, a total of eight IPS officers are retiring from service.
‘’This is just a clarification…we are not doubting their integrity. It is just that after retirement, it is difficult to summon the official for his statement and other related matters,'’ the official added.
UP suspends 12 IPS in police recruitment scam; 6,500 cops sacked The Home Secretary said a departmental enquiry would be initiated against these officials. ‘’FIRs wil be lodged against them and the Anti-Corruption Organisation (ACO) will further investigate the scam,'’ he said. The report on the other 41 recruitment boards will be presented before the government by the end of the month.
‘’All those whose recruitment has been cancelled will be given a fair chance to particiapte in the new recruitment process…Those who have committed fraud will face the music,'’ he said. While 5723 candidates were selected for civil police, 781 were selected for the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC).
The state government also promised to set up new recruitment boards within six months. ‘’Meanwhile, a board, consisting of Renuka Kumar (Secretary Home), OPS Malik (ADG, Telecom) and Aditya Mishra (DIG, Intelligence), has been formed to guide the government on the process to make the new recruitments transparent and free of corruption.'’ ‘’The scam was very serious in nature as the probe committee found. While in several cases, candidates had furnished fake high school certificates, we also found that answer sheets were re-written to help the favoured candidates…hand writing experts have proved this,'’ he added.
Altogether over 22,000 policemen were recruited during the previous Samajwadi Party regime between the year 2004 and 2006 and several irregularities were detected during the probe conducted by the present Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government when it came to power in May.
Samajwadi Party General Secretery Shivpal Singh said the probbe was politically motivated to tarnish the image of the previous government. ‘’Police officers who were not given good postings have alleged the scam…all the recruitments were genuine and as per standards laid down by the government,'’ he said.
PATNA: Original Inhabitants of The Great Prabuddha Bharath schoolgirls are on a hunger strike for three days now in protest against being served rotten food in their residential school in Ara, district headquarters of Bhojpur district.
All the 250Original Inhabitants of The Great Prabuddha Bharath girls at the Rajkiya Ambedkar Awasiya Balika Vidyalaya are refusing to touch the “worm-infested food.” At least nine of them have fallen sick and have been admitted to the Sadar hospital in Ara.
The students have been protesting for well over two months now against the inhuman treatment being meted out to them. They alleged that the authorities were ignoring their protests because they were poor Original Inhabitants of The Great Prabuddha Bharath.
Television clippings showed the worm-infested rice in the school’s kitchen. A school official admitted that she failed to detect the poor quality rice and pulses and replace them.
Surprisingly, district officials who visited the school on an inspection too did nothing to replace the stock. They said they would submit their report to the higher authorities and hoped that the children would give up their indefinite fast.
The girls have resolved not to relent till their demands are fulfilled.
UP Congress leaders form “Rajiv Gandhi Workers’ Forum”
|Rizvi convenes meeting in Lucknow; Khursheed, Tewari not invited|
Lucknow: Signalling divisions in State party leadership, a group of senior Uttar Pradesh Congress leaders on Tuesday held a meeting here to discuss ways to revive the party’s old glory and announced formation of a forum to effectively implement the party’s programmes.
The meeting, held at the residence of AICC member and senior Congress leader Ammar Rizvi, decided to form “Rajiv Gandhi Workers’ Forum”.
Neither UPCC President Salman Khursheed nor Congress Legislature Party leader Pramod Tewari was present at the meeting.
“We did not invite Mr. Tewari or Mr. Khursheed”, Mr. Rizvi told reporters in reply to a question after the meeting but added that the meeting is not against any one.
The Congress base “is shrinking…the workers are deserting the party…”, Mr. Rizvi said.
He said he would intimate the AICC President Sonia Gandhi about the formation of the Forum and also seek an early appointment with her to apprise her about the feeling of ordinary party workers in the state about party affairs in Uttar Pradesh.
Mr. Rizvi, who was flanked several senior State party leaders, said the Congress suffered because ordinary workers were “ignored” and leaders “super imposed”.
Local leadership had been “bypassed” and workers were “humiliated and not paid the respect they deserved”, he said.
He urged the senior leaders of the party sitting in the headquarters to spend at least a week every month in their respective districts.
Babri case hearing on September 19
Rae Bareli: A district court hearing the Babri mosque demolition cases against BJP leader L. K. Advani and seven others on Tuesday fixed September 19 for pronouncing its order on applications moved by a VHP leader and two others on whether they could be tried by the same court.
Transfer of cases
Special Judge Vansharaj Singh issued the direction while hearing applications filed by Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Ram Vilas Vedanti and two more persons.
Vedanti and the others, against whom trial in the Babri mosque demolition cases are pending in a court in Lucknow, have sought the transfer of their cases to the district court here so that they can be tried along with Mr. Advani.
The applicants said they were co-accused in the matter and, as such, their cases should be tried by the district court.
Besides Mr. Advani, former Union Ministers M. M. Joshi, Uma Bharti, BJP general secretary Vinay Katiyar, VHP leaders Ashok Singhal, Acharya Giriraj Kishore, Sadhvi Ritambhara and Vishnu Hari Dalmiya are the other accused in the case. PTI