This is what has happened when there is no money in the hands of the
people because of the permanent curfew where the petty shops, small
eateries, no work for daily wagers etc., etc.,
Message from top cop of Bangalore which every one should read.
All of us whether in Cities or Towns, have to be aware of the situation.
From May 3rd if the
permanent curfew is lifted partially fully, we cannot put much pressure
on our police department which had worked hard day in and day out all
The police force would be very tired and they also need to spend time with their families.
We need to be responsible citizens in following traffic rules and be proactive in protecting ourselves and our belongings.
As many out there, did not have much earnings all these days so there
might be a sudden spurt in incidents due to jobloss / effect on business.
1. People have to be very
careful this includes people at home, children, school and college
going boys/girls, working women/men.
2. Do not wear costly watches.
3. Do not wear costly chains, bangles, ear rings be careful with your hand bags.
4. Men refrain wearing high end watches, costly bracelets and chains.
5. Do not use much of your mobile phones in the public. Try to minimise mobile use in public.
6. Do not entertain giving lift ride to any strangers.
7. Do not carry more than necessary money.
8. Keep your credit and debit cards safe while you are on the move.
9. Keep calling home every now and then to check upon your elders, wife and children’s welfare.
10. Instruct elders and people at home while attending a door bell keep
a safe distance from the main door, if possible keep the grill gates
locked not to go close to the grill to receive any parcels or letters.
11. Instruct children to return home early as much as possible.
12. Don’t take any secluded or short cuts roads to reach home, try and use maximum Main roads.
13. Youngsters when you are out keep an eye on your surroundings.
14. Always have an emergency number at hand.
15. Keep a safe distance from people.
16. Public mostly will be wearing mask.
17. Those who use cab services please share your trip details with you parents, siblings, relatives, friends or guardians.
18. Try and use Govt public transport system.
19. Avoid crowded buses.
20. While going for your
daily walk try and go around 6.00 AM, in the evening maximum finish by
8.00 PM use Main roads avoid empty streets.
21. Do not spend much time in malls, beach and parks.
22. If Children have to attend tuition classes let elders drop and pick up.
23. Do not leave any valuables in your vehicles.
This has to be followed at least for 3 months or till overall situation improves.
Share to all you CARE…
Request all authorities to issue a notification in the best interest of people of our Country.
Murderers of democratic
institutions and masters of diluting institutions (Modi), Bevakoof
Jhoothe Psychopaths (BJP) BS Yediyurappa who gobbled the Master Key by
tampering the fraud EVMs/VVPATs and won elections for remotely controlling intolerant, violent, ever shooting,
mob lynching, number one terrorists of the world foreigners thrown out
from Bene israel, Tibet, Africa, etc., chitpvan brahmins of RSS (Rowdy/Rakshasa Swayam Sevaks), Bhaskar Rao IPS Police Commissioner’s
Office - Bangalore BBMP Commissioner BBMP Mayor BBMP-Ward-Committee With
typically shoddy execution, Modi’s national curfew could starve Indians
to death — and not even save them from the coronavirus.But to loot lakhs of crores Rupees of the country with their newly found DONT CARE ” MODI CARES” TRUST in line with the chitpavan brahmin’s collecting Manuvadhi GURU DHAKSHANA wich are not revealed even through RTI.
Murderer of democratic
institutions (Modi)’s poorly planned 45 days curfew didn’t save us from
COVID-19, but killed economy after gobbling the Master Key by tampering
the fraud EVMs/VVPATs and won elections on behalf of Rowdy rakshasa
Swayam Sevaks (RSS) foreigners from Bene Israel.
With typically shoddy execution, Modi’s national curfew could starve to death.
It is important to note
that countries that have so far done a relatively good job of containing
the COVID-19 pandemic have refrained from imposing a complete,
nation-wide, curfew-like lockdown. These
include Singapore, Taiwan, Germany, and Turkey. Even China, where it all
started, placed only the Hubei province under complete lockdown, not
the whole country.
Modi has put 1.3 billion
people under a curfew. Since the authorities are using the word ‘curfew’
in the context of issuing passes, it is fair to call it a national
Modi does not have the
capacity to think through the details of planning and execution. This is
turning out to be another demonetisation, with the typical Modi problem
of mistaking theatrics for achievement.
If we survive the
pandemic, we won’t survive the impending economic collapse. The economy
isn’t on Modi’s radar either. He won a national election despite
disastrous economic policies that gave us a 45
year-high unemployment rate. Why should he worry about the economy?
Demonetisation and GST
resulted in killing demand, and this poorly planned national curfew will
kill supply chains. We’ll be left with the great Indian discovery, the
Modi announced a national curfew with little notice. He addressed India
at 8 pm, and the curfew came into force at midnight. Just like
demonetisation. Why couldn’t he have given some notice? Why couldn’t he
have done his TV address at 8 am? Maximising prime time attention, you see.
The home ministry issued a
list of exemptions but try explaining them to the cops on the street.
The police is doing what it loves to do the most: beating up Indians
with lathis. Meanwhile, lakhs of trucks are stranded on state borders.
Supply chains for the most essential items have been disrupted,
including medicines, milk, groceries, food and newspaper deliveries.
Nobody in the prime
minister’s office seems to be aware of any such thing as crop
harvesting, or the Rabi season, as farmers wonder how they’ll do it amid
this national curfew. Only Modi can manage to be so
clever as to
disrupt the country’s medical supply chain while fighting a
pandemic.Modi is the only major world leader who has not yet announced a
financial package. In his first speech, he said the finance minister
will head a committee, but some in the finance ministry said they heard
of this committee from the Modi’s speech. He did announce Rs 15,000
crore extra to meet the health expenditure arising out of the COVID-19
crisis — that is Rs 5,000 crore less than the amount of money he has
kept aside for his narcissistic and unnecessary project of rebuilding
the Central Vista of New Delhi.
At this rate, more might
die of hunger than of COVID-19. Modi’s poor administrative skills, zero
attention span for details, spell disaster for this crisis. In a few
weeks, we might find ourselves overwhelmed with an epidemic in defiance
of official numbers, while the economy might start looking like the
While it’s not known who
got what from whom, whether the virus was even spread simply having a
cold at that time, the case has shaken the community even if it didn’t
“qualify” for a test after showing runny nose which was listed as a
symptom of COVID-19 and advises anyone feeling unwell to stay home.
Major Cause of Death in COVID-19 is Thrombosis, Not Pneumonia !
seems that the disease is being attacked wrongly worldwide. Thanks to
autopsies performed by the Italians … it has been shown that it is not
pneumonia … but it is: disseminated intravascular coagulation
Therefore, the way to fight it is with antibiotics, antivirals, anti-inflammatories and anticoagulants.
The protocols are being changed here since !
According to valuable information from Italian pathologists, ventilators and intensive care units were never needed.
If this is true for all cases, it is about to be resolved it earlier than expected.
Important and new about Coranovirus:
Around the world, COVID-19 is being attacked wrongly due to a serious pathophysiological diagnosis error.
The impressive case of a Mexican family in the United States who claimed they were cured with a home remedy was documented:-
Three 500 mg Aspirins dissolved in lemon juice boiled with honey and taken hot.
The next day they woke up as if nothing had happened to them!Well, the
scientific information that follows proves they are right!
This information was released by a medical researcher from Italy:
Thanks to 50 autopsies performed on patients who died of COVID-19,
Italian pathologists have discovered that IT IS NOT PNEUMONIA, strictly
speaking, because the virus does not only kill pneumocytes of this
type, but uses an inflammatory storm to create an endothelial vascular thrombosis.
As in disseminated
intravascular coagulation, the lung is the most affected because it is
the most inflamed, but there is also a heart attack, stroke and many
other thromboembolic diseases.
In fact, the protocols left antiviral therapies useless and focused on anti-inflammatory and anti-clotting therapies.
These therapies should be done immediately, even at home, in which the treatment of patients responds very well.
The later performed less effective. In resuscitation, they are almost
useless. If the Chinese had denounced it, they would have invested in
home therapy, not intensive care!
DISSEMINATED INTRAVASCULAR COAGULATION (THROMBOSIS):
So, the way to fight it is with antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and anticoagulants.
An Italian pathologist
reports that the hospital in Bergamo did a total of 50 autopsies and one
in Milan, 20, that is, the Italian series is the highest in the world,
the Chinese did only 3, which seems to fully confirm the information.
Previously, in a nutshell, the disease is determined by a disseminated
intravascular coagulation triggered by the virus; therefore, it is not
pneumonia but pulmonary thrombosis, a major diagnostic error.
We doubled the number of resuscitation places in the ICU, with unnecessary exorbitant costs.
In retrospect, we have to
rethink those chest X-rays that were discussed a month ago and were
given as interstitial pneumonia; in fact, it may be entirely consistent
with disseminated intravascular coagulation.
Treatment in ICUs is useless if thromboembolism is not resolved first.
If we ventilate a lung where blood does not circulate, it is useless, in
fact, nine (9) patients out of ten (10) die.
Because the problem is cardiovascular, not respiratory.
It is venous microthrombosis, not pneumonia, that determines mortality.
Why thrombi are formed ?
Because inflammation, according to the literature, induces thrombosis
through a complex but well-known pathophysiological mechanism.
Unfortunately what the
scientific literature said, especially Chinese, until mid-March was that
anti-inflammatory drugs should not be used.
Now, the therapy being
used in Italy is with anti-inflammatories and antibiotics, as in
influenza, and the number of hospitalized patients has been reduced.
Many deaths, even in their 40s, had a history of fever for 10 to 15
days, which were not treated properly.Many deaths, even in their 40s,
had a history of fever for 10 to 15 days, which were not treated
The inflammation did a
great deal of tissue damage and created ground for thrombus formation,
because the main problem is not the virus, but the immune hyperreaction
that destroys the cell where the virus is installed. In fact, patients
with rheumatoid arthritis have never needed to be admitted to the ICU
because they are on corticosteroid therapy, which is a great
This is the main reason why hospitalizations in Italy are decreasing
and becoming a treatable disease at home. By treating her well at home,
not only is hospitalization avoided, but also the risk of thrombosis.
It was not easy to understand, because the signs of microembolism disappeared!
With this important
discovery, it is possible to return to normal life and open closed deals
due to the quarantine, not immediately, but it is time to publish this
data, so that the health authorities of each
country make their respective analysis of this information and prevent further deaths. useless! The vaccine may come later.
With a request for partnership with all your esteemed organisations for
Discovery of Awakened One with Awareness Universe (DAOAU) for the
welfare, happiness and peace for all societies.
KUSHINARA NIBBANA BHUMI PAGODA
Analytic Insight Net - FREE Online Tipiṭaka Law Research & Practice
University in 116 CLASSICAL LANGUAGES in Awakened One with Awareness’s own Words
at WHITE HOME https://edition.cnn.com/…/inspirational-quotes-c…/index.html
Inspirational quotes to get us through the coronavirus shutdown
Keep calm and carry on.” “The only thing we have to fear is fear
itself.” “Don’t worry, be happy and reach across barriers of class and
“A life lived in fear is a life half lived,”
“Aren’t you worried?” “Would that help?”
“Worry is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere,”
“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.”
“Don’t worry, be happy”
“Don’t worry ’bout a thing, cause every little thing’s gonna be alright.”
“Things could always be better, but things could always be worse,”
“Nothing’s okay. So it’s okay.””I like to think of life as an
adventure, like a roller coaster. It helps with the ups and downs.”
“Often when you think you’re at the end of something, you’re at the beginning of something else.”
“Better to be busy than to be busy worrying,”
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning
how to dance in the rain.” Or as Sting sings, “When the world is running
down, you make the best of what’s still around.”
“You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you’ll find, you get what you need,”
“The simple bare necessities. Forget about your worries and your strife … The bare necessities of life will come to you,”
“Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean.”
“That which does not kill us, makes us stronger,”
“Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness.”
“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now,”
“If you’re going through hell, keep going,”
“You just gotta keep livin’ man, L-I-V-I-N,”
“This here bearing went out. We didn’t know it was goin’, so we didn’
worry none. Now she’s out an’ we’ll fix her. An’ by Christ that goes for
the rest of it.”
The sun will rise
“This too shall pass,”
“Praise and blame, gain and loss, pleasure and sorrow come and go like the wind.”
“dawn comes after the darkness,”
“I know what I have to do now, I’ve got to keep breathing because
tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?”
“Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.”
Countries and territories without any cases of COVID-19
15. Aland Islands
17. Jan Mayen Islands
18. Latin America
20.British Indian Ocean Territory
21.French Southern Territories
25. Cocos (Keeling) Islands
26. Heard Island
27. McDonald Islands
29. Norfolk Island
31. Solomon Islands
33. United States Minor Outlying Islands
Wallis and Futuna Islands
3,14,687 : Corona virus
3,69,602 : Common cold
3,40,584 : Malaria
3,53,696 : suicide
3,93,479 : road accidents
2,40,950 : HIV
5,58,471 : alcohol
8,16,498 : smoking
purpose of the PRESSTITUTE media campaign is to settle the trade war,
to reduce financial markets to prepare the stage of financial markets
for mergers and acquisitions or to sell Treasury bonds to cover the
fiscal deficit in them Or to Panic created by Pharma companies to sell
their products like sanitizer, masks, medicine etc.
People are sick with COVID-19 Coronavirus at the moment, of which
32,00,000 are abroad. This means that if you are not in or haven’t
recently visited any foreign country, this should eliminate 95% of your
If you do contact COVID-19 Coronavirus, this still is not a cause for panic because:
81% of the Cases are MILD
14% of the Cases are MODERATE
Only 5% of the Cases are CRITICAL
Which means that even if you do get the virus, you are most likely to recover from it.
have said, “but this is worse than SARS and SWINEFLU!” SARS had a
fatality rate of 10%, Swine flu 28% while COVID-19 has a fatality rate
Moreover, looking at the ages of those who are dying of
this virus, the death rate for the people UNDER 55 years of age is only
This means that: if you are under 55 years of age and don’t
live out of India - you are more likely to win the lottery (which has a 1
in 45,000,000 chance)
26,283 people died of Cancer
24,641 people died of Heart Disease
4,300 people died of Diabetes
Suicide took 28 times more lives than the virus did.
kill 2,740 people every day, HUMANS kill 1,300 fellow humans every day,
and Snakes kill 137 people every day. (Sharks kill 2 people a year)
SO DO THE DAILY THINGS TO SUPPORT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM , PROPER HYGIENE AND DO NOT LIVE IN FEAR.
Join to Spread Hope instead of Fear.
The Biggest Virus is not Corona Virus but Fear!
SHARE TO STOP PANIC
Fear What do Matteyya Awakened One with Awareness
quotes teach us about fear?
Trade your fear for freedom.
“Even death is
not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.”
“The whole secret of
existence is to have no fear.
Never fear what will become of you, depend
on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”
has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds
pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and
appreciates them, one is free of fear.
Learn how to manage people and be a better leader
Aspire to be a better leader? Then you need to be a team player with
the right character traits, interpersonal and communication skills.
Learn how to manage people and become holistic leaders with these few
quick tips taken from the Leadership and People Management WSQ Course
This animated video was developed with the support of Capelle Academy.
To get the skills you need to progress in your career, check out the LPM WSQ Course at http://bit.ly/LPM_WSQ
Free Online Leadership Training from http://sarvajan.ambedkar.org
for Discovery of Awakened One with Awareness Universe for Happiness,
welfare and Peace for all Sentient and Non-Sentient beings and for them
to attain Eternal Bliss as Final Goal!Make your peace with that and all
will be well.”
1. “The whole secret of existence is to have no fear.”
2. “Be kind to all creatures; this is the true religion.”
3. Affirmation without discipline is the beginning of delusion(Stupidity)-JC
In the end, only three things matter: How much you loved, how gently
you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.”
5.“The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become.”
6. “Health is the greatest gift, contentment is the greatest wealth, A
trusted friend is the best relative, liberated mind is the greatest
7.“The thought manifests as
the word: the word manifests as the deed: the deed develops into
character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it
spring from love born out of concern for all beings.”
8.“Do not learn how to react learn how to respond.”
9. “If your compassion does not include yourself, It is incomplete.”
10. “Everything that has a begining has an ending.
11. “ Your work is to discover your world and then with all your thoughts give yourself to it.”
12.“The whole secret of existence is
to have no fear.”Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own
13. If anything is worth doing, do it with all your good thoughts.
14. “The root of suffering is attachment.”
15. “Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
16. “All that we are is the result of what we have thought.”
17. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”
18 “What you think you become, what you feel, you attract. what you imagine, you create.”
19. “Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.”
20. “Relax nothing is in control.”-
21. Awakened One with Awareness was asked,”what have you gained from concentration?”
He replied “NOTHING”! However let me tell you what i have lost: anger,
anxiety, depression, insecurity, fear of old age and death.”
22. “The trouble is you think you have time.”
23. “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it,
not even if i have said it. Unless it agrees with your own reason and
your own common sense.”
24. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”
25. “On the long journey of human life… Faith is the best of companions.”
26. “To understand everything is to forgive everything.”
27. “Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
28. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the past.”
29. “There is no path to happiness: Happiness is the path.”
30. “No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.”
31. “If you want to fly, give upeverything that weighs you down.”
32. “you only lose what you cling to.”
34. “when we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways-
Either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits or by
using the challenge to find our inner strength.”
35. “Don’t rush anything. When the time is right, it’ll happen..”
36. “Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.”
37. “It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light”
38. “Be patient everything comes to you in the right moment.”
39. “Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
40. “A man who conquers himself is greater than one who conquers a thousand men in a battle.”
41. “All human unhappiness comes from not facing reality squarely, exactly as it is.”
42. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”
43. “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.”
44. “Happiness does not depend on what you haveor who you are it solely relies on what you think.”
45. “whatever befalls you, walk on untouched, unattached.”
46. Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.
47. The most powerful leadership tool you have is your own personal example.
48. A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.
49. Let your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and…
50. The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He…
51. Let me define a leader. He must have the vision and passion and not be afraid…
52. The more secretive or unjust an organization is, the more leaks induce fear…
53. Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.
54. Don’t find fault, find a remedy.
55. The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority.
56. People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and…
57. With great power comes great responsibility.
58. If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and…
59. I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles, but today it means getting…
60. The more you inspire, the more people will inspire you.
61. A true leader is one who is humble enough to admit their mistakes.
62. Leaders are the ones who keep faith with the past, keep step with the present…
63. He who cannot be a good follower cannot be a good leader.
64. The task of leadership is not to put greatness into people, but to elicit it, for…
65. A real leader uses every issue, no matter how serious and sensitive, to ensure…
66. One of the most important leadership lessons is realizing you’re not the most…
67. It is better to lead from behind and put other in front, especially when you…
68. A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader take people where…
69. Leaders aren’t born, they are made. And they are made just like anything else…
70. Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.
71. A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.
72. Leaders are the creators of their lives. Followers let life happen to them.
73. Leaders are visionaries with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept…
74. Leadership is based on a spiritual quality; the power to inspire, the power…
75. No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the…
76. A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his…
77. If you are working on something exciting that you really care about, you don’t…
78. A leader is one who sees more than others see, who sees farther than others…
79. Leadership is the challenge to be something more than average.
80. As a leader, I am tough on myself and I raise the standard for…
81. Good leadership starts with good communication.
82. Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
83. A good leader is a person who takes a little more than his share of the blame…
84. No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the…
85. Management is about arranging and telling. Leadership is about nurturing…
86. No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.
87. Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important…
88. Leadership: The art of getting someone else to do something you want done…
89. The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak;
90. Remember the difference between a boss and a leader; a boss says “Go!”…
91. A leader is someone who demonstrates what’s possible.
92. A leader is a dealer in hope
93. The courage of leadership is giving others the chance to succeed even though…
94. A great leader’s courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.
95. Courage is the main quality of leadership, in my opinion, no matter where it…witty-leadership-quots
96. I have a different vision of leadership. A leadership is someone who brings…
Leadership and leadership quotes can help us know how to lead in many
different ways. Whether in business, law enforcement, or any group,
there needs to be a leader. We usually look up to someone who can guide
us and show us how things are done. What we don’t know is that we can
also be that person that we want to look upon to. We just need to
discover how to improve ourselves and be that person. Sometimes, what we
need are some encouragements from other people who have been there or
have been good leaders also.
By reading these famous
inspirational leadership quotes, we can learn how to be good leaders. It
can help us know what are the do’s and don’t and what should be the
qualities to be a good leader. In here, we have collected some of the
best leadership quotes you can find on the internet. These leadership
quotes came from people who were once great leaders themselves.
Concepts: 1. The world has changed for ever,
2. Adaptation is the key,
3. Survival of the ‘Quickest’.
4. Forced Enterpreneurship,
5. Ego slap by nature.
AFFECTED INDUSTRIES :
JOBS, 2. RETAIL, 3. TRAVEL, 4.TOURISM, 5. HOSPITALITY, 6. AUTOMOIVE, 7.
CINEMA, 8. LOGISTIC, 9.LOCAL TRANSPORT, 10. RESTAURANTS, 11. LUXURY
PRODUCTS, 12. LIVE SPORTS, 13. REAL ESTATE, 14. OIL & GAS, 15.
COSTRUCTION, 16. FILM INDUSTRY, 17. EVENTS & CONFERENCES, 18. TECH
& GAD INVESATING, 19. AUTOMOBILE MANUFACTURING, 20. FINTECH
WHAT HAS CHANGED :
SOCIAL INTERACTION, 2. WORK STYLE, 3. INTERNET USAGE, 4. HEALTH
CONCIOUSNESS, 5. LESS POLLUTION, 6. PRIORITIES, 7. BUSSINESS MODES, 9.
FAMILY TIME, 10. EXPENSES DROPPED, 11. EDUCATION, 11. FOOD, 19.
1. DIGITAL PRODUCTS, 2. GIG ECONOMY, 3. STOCK MARKET INVESTING, 4. HOME
GARDENING, 5. ONLINE COACHING/TEACHING, 6. MENTAL HEALTH, 7. ALTERNATE
ENERGY, 8. INSURANCE, 9. ALTERNATE MEDICINES, 10. GAMING, 11.
HEALTHCARE, 12. AFFILIATE MARKET, 13. NETWORK MARKETING, 14. DATA
SCIENCES, 15. SPIRITUAL SCIENCES.
Are you Buddhist and haven’t gotten around to making a shrine? This article will show you how to build a simple Buddhist shrine.
A doctor wearing a face mask looks at a CT image of a lung of a patient at a hospital in Wuhan, China.
AFP via Getty Images
Updated on March 17 at 6:43 p.m. ET:
of people have now died from COVID-19 — the name for the disease caused
by the coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China.
According to the World Health Organization, the disease is relatively mild in about 80% of cases.
What does mild mean?
And how does this disease turn fatal?
The first symptoms of COVID-19 are pretty common with respiratory illnesses — fever, a dry cough and shortness of breath, says Dr. Carlos del Rio,
a professor of medicine and global health at Emory University who has
consulted with colleagues treating coronavirus patients in China and
Germany. “Some people also get a headache, sore throat,” he says.
Fatigue has also been reported — and less commonly, diarrhea. It may
feel as if you have a cold. Or you may feel that flu-like feeling of
being hit by a train.
Doctors say these patients with milder symptoms should check in
with their physician to make sure their symptoms don’t progress to
something more serious, but they don’t require major medical
But the new coronavirus attacks the lungs, and in
about 20% of patients, infections can get more serious. As the virus
enters lung cells, it starts to replicate, destroying the cells,
explains Dr. Yoko Furuya, an infectious disease specialist at Columbia University Irving Medical Center.
our body senses all of those viruses as basically foreign invaders,
that triggers our immune system to sweep in and try to contain and
control the virus and stop it from making more and more copies of
itself,” she says.
But Furuya says that this immune system response to this
invader can also destroy lung tissue and cause inflammation. The end
result can be pneumonia. That means the air sacs in the lungs become
inflamed and filled with fluid, making it harder to breathe.
Del Rio says that these symptoms can also make it harder for the
lungs to get oxygen to your blood, potentially triggering a cascade of
problems. “The lack of oxygen leads to more inflammation, more problems
in the body. Organs need oxygen to function, right? So when you don’t
have oxygen there, then your liver dies and your kidney dies,” he says.
Lack of oxygen can also lead to septic shock.
The most severe
cases — about 6% of patients — end up in intensive care with multi-organ
failure, respiratory failure and septic shock, according to a February report from the WHO.
And many hospitalized patients require supplemental oxygen. In extreme
cases, they need mechanical ventilation — including the use of a
sophisticated technology known as ECMO
(extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), which basically acts as the
patient’s lungs, adding oxygen to their blood and removing carbon
dioxide. The technology “allows us to save more severe patients,” Dr.
Sylvie Briand, director of the WHO’s pandemic and epidemic diseases
department, said at a press conference In February.
Many of the
more serious cases have been in people who are middle-aged and elderly —
Furuya notes that our immune system gets weaker as we age. She says for
long-term smokers, it could be even worse because their airways and
lungs are more vulnerable. People with other underlying medical
conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes or chronic lung disease,
have also proved most vulnerable. Furuya says those kinds of conditions
can make it harder for the body to recover from infections.
“Of course, you have outliers — people who are young and otherwise previously healthy who are dying,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told NPR’s 1A
show. “But if you look at the vast majority of the people who have
serious disease and who will ultimately die, they are in that group that
are either elderly and/or have underlying conditions.”
for the case fatality rate for COVID-19 vary depending on the country.
But data from both China and Lombardy, Italy, show the fatality rate
starts rising for people in their 60s. In Lombardy, for instance, the
case fatality rate for those in their 60s is nearly 3 percent. It’s
nearly 10 percent for people in their 70s and more than 16 percent for
those in their 80s.
Del Rio notes that it’s not just COVID-19 that can bring on
multi-organ failure. Just last month, he saw the same thing in a
previously healthy flu patient in the U.S. who had not gotten a flu
“He went in to a doctor. They said, ‘You have the flu —
don’t worry.’ He went home. Two days later, he was in the ER. Five days
later, he was very sick and in the ICU” with organ failure, del Rio
says. While it’s possible for patients who reach this stage to survive,
recovery can take many weeks or months.
In fact, many
infectious disease experts have been making comparisons between this new
coronavirus and the flu and common cold, because it appears to be
“What this is acting like — it’s
spreading much more rapidly than SARS [severe acute respiratory
syndrome], the other coronavirus, but the fatality rate is much less,”
Fauci told 1A. “It’s acting much more like a really bad influenza.”
experts fear is that, like the flu, COVID-19 will keep coming back year
after year. But unlike the flu, there is no vaccine yet for the
Digha Nikaya (Mahaparinibbana-sutta